Presented by the Aurora Humanitarian Initiative in partnership with UWC International, Young Aurora is open to all UWC schools and colleges and, since 2018, the African Leadership Academy. Its mission is to encourage, support, and showcase student-driven projects which address concrete humanitarian issues and offer solutions through innovative and sustainable approaches.
Since 2017, Young Aurora has provided student teams from the participating schools with the opportunity to enter a project proposal that aims to tackle a humanitarian issue affecting a community in the vicinity of their school. All proposals are evaluated according to their level of creativity, sustainability, quality of research and potential for impact. One winning team each year is provided with a financial grant to fund the further development of their project.
Young Aurora has helped a huge number of student projects create a lasting impact in their school communities. From supporting refugees to preventing the sexual abuse of children, and from reducing biowaste to protecting coral reefs - you can read about the winning and runner-up projects over the years at the bottom of this page.
UWC thanks the Aurora Humanitarian Initiative for their continued support of UWC students in their initiatives for meaningful change - helping them to put gratitude into action.
Young Aurora 2022-2023
In the sixth cycle of Young Aurora, UWC East Africa's Coral Regeneration team, UWC Dilijan's Combili team and UWC South East's Bin Project team all made it the final. But, it was the Combili team who came out on top, winning the 4,000 USD project grant, which will enable them to further develop their biowaste management initiative.
Past Young Aurora Projects
- COMBILI PROJECT / UWC DILIJAN
- THE BIN PROJECT / UWC SOUTH EAST ASIA (EAST CAMPUS)
- CORAL REGENERATION PROJECT / UWC EAST AFRICA
- The Lorax Project / UWC East Africa
- Seed of Hope / Waterford Kamhlaba UWCSA
- Peer Listener Project / UWC Atlantic
- Beehive Divide / UWC East Africa
- MedRangers / UWC Mahindra College
- HER Journey / UWC South East Asia
- Smokeless Kitchens / UWC East Africa
- Young Voices / UWC Atlantic
- Precious Plastic / Pearson College UWC