UWC Day is the annual global celebration of the UWC mission and values, which takes place on 21 September every year, to coincide with the UN World Peace Day. Each year, UWC Day is celebrated by over 5,000 people, including students and staff at the UWC schools and colleges, national committees and alumni and friends around the world.
UWC Day is a moment to celebrate the strength and diversity of the UWC movement and our mission of acting as a force for peace and a sustainable future. It is an opportunity to connect and mobilise the UWC family globally. But it is also an opportunity to challenge and reflect on what we do as a movement, and to spread the word about UWC and the UWC values.
Previous events and activities have included, community service initiatives, screenings of films about UWC, panel debates and TEDx events, fundraising events for the UWC Refugee initiative or for national committees, outreach events held in partnership with other initiatives and a range of volunteering opportunities.
There are many ways to get involved in UWC Day. You can join an event or activity locally, or set up one yourself. You can also take an action that to you embodies the UWC values.
Each year, UWC Day has a different theme which helps to guide initiatives in their planning - 'Inspire Change' in 2018, 'The Power of Diversity' in 2017, ‘Connect-Challenge-Celebrate’ in 2016 (in line with the theme of the UWC Congress) and in ‘Live the Mission' in 2015.
The theme for UWC Day 2018 is... 'Inspire Change!'
Visit our events page or watch the video below to get inspired by all the UWC Day events that took place around the world last year. All members of the global UWC community are encouraged to get involved with (or even organise!) a UWC-mission-driven event or activity wherever they are in the world during the week of 21 September 2018.
Interested in planning a UWC Day 2018 event?
- Register your UWC Day event or activity here!
- Click here to access resources to help you plan and promote it!
A few ideas to get you started...
- Organise a group of fellow UWCers and friends to volunteer with a community organisation.
- Organise a change-themed art exhibition or film screening in your home or a local venue.
- Host a social gathering for UWC alumni in your area - have attendees bring food to share. Check out the UWC Foodies page for inspiration!
- Organise a world trivia night - test your fellow UWCers’ knowledge of global affairs and geography!
- Bring UWCers and friends together for a creative activity - see who can paint the most “UWC” picture, or bake “world” cupcakes together.