UWC-DT Summer Studio / China
1 August 2021
Deferred Dates TBC
What is DT Summer Studio?
The UWC-DT Summer Studio is a summer program designed collaboratively by UWC teachers, alumni, students and professional design experts. Combining a series of design thinking workshops and UWC themed activities, UWC-DT Summer Studio offers participants a unique opportunity to learn from experts from the field, including international IDEO designers, to use design to create positive social change. By acquiring a designer mindset, we believe participants could develop a sensitivity towards human-designed systems and objects; therein a view of the designed world as a malleable one which they can actively shape better as change-makers.
What you can achieve?
Throughout the 8-day program, participants first familiarise themselves with the design thinking process through hands-on tasks and activities. These sessions also allow participants to utilise technology such as 3D-printing, laser-cutting to experiment and realise their ideas. They then proceed to apply the design thinking framework to solve a challenge in the local Changshu community, present their final ideas and prototypes at the end of the program. Other activities facilitated by UWC alumni and current students, include Global Issues Forum, sustainable fashion show, provide participants a taste of the UWC education experience. Ultimately, we hope to expand design education to cultivate learners who investigate, prototype and iterate, with a commitment to design and innovate for a better world.
Key Learning Objectives
- Deep dive into the Design Thinking process and learn how to apply it for creative problem solving
- Hands on experience with emerging, exciting technologies for rapid prototyping (e.g. 3-D printing and laser cutting)
- Learn how to use Design Thinking to plan, organise and conduct projects
- Jump start an independent or group project, with concrete prototypes to begin a journey of iterative design
- Immerse in UWC’s unique experiential, inquiry-based education model
- Acquisition of a range of skills (e.g. collaboration, communication, creative thinking, etc.)
Dates: Deferred dates TBC
Location: UWC Changshu, China
Application information: You can apply via this link.
Eligibility: Applicants must be aged between 14 and 18 years
Application deadline: TBC
Course fee: 16,500 CNY
15,500 CNY: Early bird special
(includes program fees, food and accommodation costs)
Scholarship Availability: A limited number of bursaries are available only to students in financial need. If you require financial assistance, please fill in the scholarship application Form here.