UWCM vacancy- Humanities
Teacher IB MYP Humanities
We are looking for a qualified and dedicated Teacher for the department of Humanities.
The new colleague as a full time teacher on a 1.0 FTE position, is expected to teach on average 20 lessons per week.
At UWC Maastricht every teacher is considered to be part of the pastoral care structure; therefore subject teachers support students not only in their academic learning but also in their development as a person.
Part of the UWC model of education is that all teachers are also expected to lead a service and a creative or physical activity.
The new colleague will participate fully as a team member in an academic department and within the whole school.
The successful profile & qualifications
Pursuing the UWC mission requires a commitment from our staff members to the following values:
- International and cultural understanding, celebration of difference, personal responsibility and integrity, mutual responsibility and respect, compassion and service, respect for the environment, a sense of idealism, personal challenge, action and personal example.
It should be noted that the school is a dynamic and high energy environment:
- the satisfaction from working at UWC Maastricht is high – but so are the demands on time and engagement.
Education degree and Professional experience
- Completed Bachelor (MYP) desired in the a Humanities subject, like History , Geography, or economics.
- (international) Teaching Qualification / Certificate, like a Bachelor or Master in Education, or QTS with induction that qualifies for accreditation according to the Dutch educational system.
- Successful experience as a teacher in an international IB school is preferred
- More information on the website of DUO, a department of the Dutch Ministery of Education: https://duo.nl/particulier/international-student/your-qualifications/working-as-a-teacher.jsp
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following competencies on a professional proficiency level:
- Subject knowledge and methodological competence: Demonstrating the necessary subject knowledge and methodological strategies to effectively educate students. Helping students to make themselves familiar with the cultural and professional baggage that is necessary for them to fully function in society. Providing students with structure and support in a safe learning environment to enable them to develop socially, emotionally and morally.
- Organizational: Creating a well-organized, orderly and task-oriented learning environment.
- Collaboration with colleagues: Making a professional contribution to a good pedagogic and didactic climate, to effective mutual collaboration and good school organization.
- Interpersonal: Creating an atmosphere of trust by dealing with students in a positive and open way. Showing sensitivity and insight into social/emotional/cultural consideration of international students.
- Interaction with the environment: Ensuring good communication and coordination with parents and others involved in the education and development of the students.
- Reflection and development: Reflecting regularly on the development of personal and professional capabilities.
- Computer literacy.
- Fluent English Level: reading, writing, speaking and understanding. A minimum of C2 proficiency in English. Multilingual candidates are preferred.
UWC Maastricht is committed to upholding the highest standards in student safeguarding. Throughout the application process we will be assessing your suitability to work with children and young adults. Prior to an offer of employment being made, UWC Maastricht will check directly with current and past employers about safeguarding.
Terms of Employment / Remuneration
- You will get a temporary contract of employment under Dutch law: the initial contract is until August 1, 2021. After a positive appraisal and after your Dutch teaching certificate has been granted by DUO, your temporary contract will be changed into a contract for an indefinite period of time. If your appraisal is not positive enough or DUO does not award you a Dutch Teaching Certificate (yet), you will be given a second temporary contract.
- The package will be commensurate with the responsibilities of the position, according to the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Secondary Education (‘CAO VO’).
- Participation in the school’s pension plan via the ABP Retirement/Pension Fund.
- Support in the application for the ‘30% Facility for Incoming Employees’ with the Dutch Tax Authorities (if relevant).
- Location: UWC Maastricht, the Netherlands.
To be able to work in the Netherlands, a (foreign) staff member must be able to
successfully apply for:
✔ Residence and work permits for the Netherlands.
✔ A Dutch VOG (certificate of good conduct).
UWCM will assist in the application process for residence and work permits and
After shortlisting, we determine the suitability of the remaining candidates to work in our school via online testing and screening, reference checks and interviews at our school or via Skype.
You can express your interest by applying via firstname.lastname@example.org, with your motivation letter and CV- in PDF- in an attachment.
The deadline for application is April 6th.
Further information can be found on our website via ‘Working with us’. UWC Maastricht reserves the right to identify and appoint a qualified candidate prior to the submission deadline.