Deputy Head Role
21 December 2019
UWC Costa Rica
DEPUTY HEAD PROFILE
ABOUT UWC COSTA RICA
United World College (UWC) Costa Rica is a non-profit foundation that offers 16-19-year-old students a two-year residential pre-university program that values experiential learning. Our educational program encompasses three main areas: Academics (International Baccalaureate Diploma), Co-Curricular and Residence Life. All activities and learning opportunities incorporate one or more of UWC Costa Rica ́s six competencies: social responsibility, diversity, conflict transformation, sustainability, leadership, and healthy lifestyle. As the only UWC in Latin America, we offer a bilingual program, opportunities to learn more about the social, political, and cultural history of the region, and options to explore Costa Rica.
The Deputy Head is a senior-level leadership position, reporting directly to the Head of School with overall responsibility for the implementation of the College’s Strategic Plan within the competent areas, alongside the day to day operation of the College. Together with the Head, co-leads the development of the College's Annual Plan and is responsible for its implementation in the educational and operations teams. The College is planning a move to a new purposely designed campus in the coming years. The Deputy Head will have the responsibility to help lead the design and transition process. The Educational Program covers three main components within the experiential education approach: Academics, Co-Curricular, and Residential Life. The Operational aspect of the School covers legal and representational requirements, human resources management and certain internal aspects related with finances, operations, safety, and conduct regulations. He/she assures that all programs and activities are aligned with the College’s mission,
values, and competencies.
- Live on campus
- Master’s in Education, Educational Administration/Leadership, Experiential Education, or closely related field.
- 10+ years of experience in a minimum of two schools, in a position of leadership or significant involvement in educational leadership and supervision in an international and diverse context.
- Demonstrated professional experience or significant knowledge with the IB Diploma Program.
- Experience in residential schooling at secondary level is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in school operational management (Operations, Safety, Finances and Facilities).
- Previous experience working with adolescents in educational environments.
- Native speaker or high level of proficiency in written and spoken English-must have, Spanish or a willingness to learn is desirable.
- Strong identification with the mission and vision of UWC Costa Rica
- Inclusive and collaborative leadership style
- Conflict Management skills
- Strong situational judgement
- Intercultural sensitivity and understanding
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Organizational management skills
- Passionate commitment to the holistic development of youth
AREAS OF LEADERSHIP
Distinctive Educational Model
- Ensures an efficient implementation of the educational programs of UWC Costa Rica: Academic, Residential Life and Co-Curricular programs within the experiential education approach.
- Ensures the implementation of UWC Costa Rica ́s six competencies: Healthy Lifestyles, Social Responsibility,
- Sustainability, Leadership, Conflict Transformation and Diversity.
- Development and strengthening of the UWC Costa Rica community.
Quality and Efficiency of Processes and School Planning
- Together with the Head of School and the Financial Director, ensures the long-term financial sustainability plan of the institution and leads the School ́s annual budget planning process.
- Together with the IT Director, supervises that the institution's technology strategy is adequate to support the development of the educational programs and the operation of the School.
- Supervises the quality of the institution's infrastructure and maintenance program.
Human Resources Development
- Follow up on the implementation of the Human Resources strategy.
- Supervise the correct implementation of Human Resources systems; induction and guidance process, policies and procedures, performance evaluation, professional development, and provide due follow-up to them.
Safety and Crisis Management
- Together with the Residential Life Director, lead the school's Child Protection Program.
- Together with the Management Team members, leads the crisis situations based on the implementation of the protocols.
- Role of Child Protection led together with the Residential Life Director.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary will be regionally competitive and will depend on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include house on campus, health/life insurance, travel allowance
and professional development opportunities. Salary considerations and length of contract will be detailed during the interview process.
The UWC Costa Rica has partnered with Search Associates to facilitate the search for a new Deputy Head. Paul Poore is serving as the lead consultant.
Qualified candidates should send the information listed below as a single PDF File attached to an email as soon as possible, but no later than December 13, 2019.
The School reserves the right to close the selection process at any time if the right candidate is identified.
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Deputy Head position at UWC Costa Rica.
- A statement describing your leadership and educational philosophy, not to exceed two pages.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages.
- At least three or four references from supervisors including one for your current position. Each reference should include updated addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of the supervisors.
Candidates should send all requested information directly to Paul Poore at Search Associates: