UWC Mahindra College
Start Date: 1st August 2022
Reports to: Head of Academics
Direct Reports: Library Officer
About UWC Mahindra College
UWC Mahindra College is a pre-university residential high school for 240 students aged 15 to 19 representing more than 80 countries. The College offers the globally recognised 2 year International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, taught by 30 faculty members from around the world. Resting in a 175-acre biodiversity reserve, our campus is located amidst the greater Western Ghats – one of the world’s biodiversity hotspots - and close to the city of Pune, an emerging tech hub with a long-standing legacy in higher education.
Librarian is responsible for managing and maintaining a record of all academic and non-academic content available in the Library. He/she will create a dynamic learning environment where collaboration and creative problem solving thrive. The librarian will be an excellent communicator who encourages and promotes enthusiasm in others for lifelong learning. He/she will instill a love of learning in all students and ensure equitable access to information. He/she will collaborate with teachers and specialists to ensure appropriate electronic and material library resources to support teaching and learning.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To be responsible for the curation, management and development of the library environment and resources, including information and communication technology (ICT), contributing to and supporting the IB curriculum
- In conjunction with Subject Coordinators, to evaluate, select and acquire resources in all required formats, balancing the need to develop ICT resources with the need to provide book-based resources
- To be responsible for all aspects of stock maintenance, including purchase, classification, cataloguing and regular stock auditing
- To use and maintain the library software.
- To teach seminars about academic research and citation of sources.
- To contribute to the library policies and development plans
- To develop a library user education programme which develops students’ independent access to the library and its resources, including ICT.
- To be proactive in promoting the library and its resources to staff and students by means of displays and assemblies
- To supervise and develop the skills of student librarians actively promote student librarianship responsibilities within the library
- To manage the library's budget, including preparing financial estimates and to provide reports and statistics on the use of resources and effectiveness of policies
- To provide e-reading opportunities for students who prefer this option
- To collaborate with teachers to share new ideas, approaches and professional knowledge
- Manage, track and monitor reading data and liaise with teachers in order to raise attainment
- To support the school’s literacy strategy in liaison with the Language and Literature Coordinators and Head of Academics
- To actively promote a love of reading amongst students
- To promote the development of a reading culture using changing displays and activities within the library
- To lead library-related initiatives
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Professional Librarianship qualification
- Relevant recent professional development that qualifies the candidate for this post
- Experience in managing library services, ideally in the education sector
- Experience in working in an international school setting
- Commitment to student wellbeing and safeguarding
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Knowledge of technology to contribute and to support the curriculum and the need to develop ICT and book-based resources
- An understanding of learning resources and how media impacts on learning
- Forward-thinking and innovative
- A positive, flexible, ‘can do’ work ethic
- The ability to think creatively, as well as having an eye for detail with a willingness to be flexible and proactive.
- A commitment to ensuring high standards of teaching and learning
- Exceptional communication skills
- An enthusiasm for engaging with diverse cultures tempered only with high levels of patience and adaptability
- Inter-culturally aware with well-developed interpersonal skills
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
We offer all employees a competitive compensation and benefits package, including opportunities for professional development. UWC Mahindra College welcomes qualified applications from individuals with a diverse range of backgrounds.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send the following materials to the attention of the Head of College, Dr. Dale Taylor at email@example.com
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter outlining how your qualifications and experience match the position requirements;
- Contact information for two referees (both telephone and email contacts);