Geography & TOK Teacher
Waterford Kamhlaba UWC of South Africa
Job Title: Geography & TOK Teacher
Location: Mbabane, Eswatini (formerly Swaziland), with international travel
Reporting to: Head of Department
Summary: We are looking for a passionate, enthusiastic and innovative teacher who can both inspire and widen students' interests in geography and effectively guide them.
WHO WE ARE
Waterford was founded in 1963 in order to provide nonracial education in opposition to the bigotry and injustice of apartheid. Starting with just 16 boys, the school grew rapidly and attracted the children of some of South Africa’s best-known activists, including Nelson and Winnie Mandela, Walter and Albertina Sisulu, and Leah and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
In 1981, Waterford became the 4th UWC when we joined the United World College movement, which now comprises 18 Colleges around the globe. As a United World College, we believe strongly in the power of “education as a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future”.
We place a high value on deliberate diversity, including economic diversity. Currently, 26% of our students receive financial assistance and we are committed to raising this number to 40%.
Waterford Kamhlaba UWCSA has an incredible history, from its beginnings in 1963 during the apartheid era, to the present challenges of this unique decade marked by a global pandemic and the continued quest to transform the world through education and service.
Waterford Kamhlaba offers both the Cambridge IGCSE qualification and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. More than 95% of our IB diploma graduates go on to tertiary education, with most receiving scholarships to attend universities in Africa, Europe and North America. We have approximately 7,000 alumni.
Engaging with, serving and learning from our broader community is a critical part of our students' educational development and our staff’s working experience. We believe strongly in holistic education and embrace learning both in and outside the classroom. Waterford Kamhlaba’s legacy is firmly rooted in Southern Africa, in this ancient continent, and in the world. Our name reminds us of our place and purpose and the urgency to create the conditions for equity, sustainability, justice and peace to thrive.
The Role and Responsibilities:
Description of Role:
- We are looking for a passionate, enthusiastic and innovative teacher who can both inspire and widen students' interests in geography and effectively guide them.
- Have an excellent working knowledge of curricula for Geography with experience delivering
- Cambridge IGCSE and IB Diploma Programme courses
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in Geography
- A Minimum of 5 years teaching experience
- A Recognised teaching qualification e.g. B. Ed/PGCE
- Experience with teaching the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme courses is an advantage.
- Demonstrate responsibility, by motivating and enthusing staff and students, giving direction and showing initiative and drive, and demonstrating good judgement
- Foster a positive professional climate through constructive, empowering behaviours and a positive mindset
- Commitment to student well-being and learning
- Strong communication and people skills
- High level of cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be willing to contribute to the wider school community and Geography Department through extra-curricular activities.
- To supervise Extended Essay
- Willingness to teach Theory of Knowledge or lead the subject session in Theory of Knowledge
- Willingness to attend relevant IB workshops and be trained to use the pedagogy that supports the School and department philosophy.
HOW TO APPLY?
If you would like to know more about these positions, please contact our Head of HR via firstname.lastname@example.org /
When applying, send a motivation letter and detailed CV to: email@example.com
The deadline for application is 30 August 2021.
Only shortlisted applicants who meet the above-mentioned requirements will be considered and contacted.
The start date for these positions is January 2022.
Waterford Kamhlaba is an equal opportunity