Mission and values
UWC makes education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future
Our unique model of education, driven by our mission and nine values, supports young people to flourish – physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically.
Our nine values
- 1. International and intercultural understanding
- We are committed to building communities that are free from prejudice and intolerance, irrespective of people’s gender, and socioeconomic, cultural, racial, religious or national backgrounds.
- 2. Celebration of difference
- We consciously create supportive environments where differences are valued and recognised for the strength they bring to communities.
- 3. Personal responsibility and integrity
- Personal responsibility, accountability and integrity are at the heart of the UWC experience. We expect the people we work with to behave in a similar way.
- 4. Mutual responsibility and respect
- We believe in collaboration and mutual support, and recognise that respect underpins the smooth functioning of any encounter or team. People who work with our members find them dependable and respectful.
- 5. Compassion and service
- Our actions and language communicate compassion and commitment to communities. We work at all levels – personally, locally, regionally, nationally – to make the world a better place.
- 6. Respect for the environment
- We recognise our interdependence with the environment and actively seek solutions that will contribute to a sustainable future. Our choices and actions demonstrate this commitment.
- 7. A sense of idealism
- We inspire our members to believe that it is possible to make a difference and work with others who share that belief.
- 8. Personal challenge
- We are committed to learning through doing. By taking the initiative and taking on challenges, we learn about ourselves and those around us, developing a sense of responsibility for others.
- 9. Action and personal example
- We believe in the importance of acting on your beliefs and making your voice heard so your actions stand out.
“Here we can be proud of who we really are and show compassion and respect towards all the different cultures surrounding us.” Benedikt Gottwald, student at UWC in Mostar